Wednesday, May 13, 2009

It's the way forward


The lovely Susan, over at her blog (If You're Going Through Hell Keep Going) wrote - "the world would be a better place if there were no pills to make us better, but just teddy bears".

Well, I adore that idea.

I don't trust the pharamceuticals industry. They're too big. They have too much money to make and to lose to let ethics get in the way of a sale. A bit of Googling and I'm sure I'd find some nice juicy examples to illustrate that but I'm purposely trying to avoid such things, you know, so I don't get depressed.

The history of psychiatry is a horrific one. Had I been born 50 years ago, I could well have had some quack jamming a metal rod into my brain to purposely damage it in the name of psychiatry. I'm not convinced much has changed.

And there are too many people with much to gain by keeping those of us with a tedency to actually see the ills of the world in a medicated haze.

But a world of teddy bears, well, that's an idea I can get behind. Fluffy warm teddy bears. They can prescribe a nice mug of hot chocolate too.

I'd like that.

5 comments:

Sabriel said...

Genius idea! I'm currently on citalopram for depression although under "investigation" for bipolar and sometimes I hate the constant reminder of having something wrong with me every time I take my pills.

Mmmm warm fluffy teddy bears sounds fantastic.

Red Pill Junkie said...

And maybe the bears would have chocolates inside of them!

I agree with you, man. Psychiatry and Neuroscience are still in its infancy. There are currently plans to map the entire human brain, to try to discover what makes it tick.

...Although personally I don't think that will help much in the long run. To try to pinpoint a neurochemical reason for a certain phobia or neurosis may not be the key to solving our problems.

And reading all the articles about the way scientists, lawyers and students use pills the same way athletes use steroids is a bit frightening. The 80s saw the dawn of Cosmetic Surgery that brought us horrible inflated boobs and blowfish-like lips; now here comes the age of Cosmetic Neurology with people that will only need to sleep 10 minutes a day, and be able to read 'War & Peace' in one sit. All these marvels designed specifically for one purpose: to make people work their ass off.

Edcander said...

I think your talking about Modafinil, maybe even adderall or rialin. Although I doubt the last two, as it's highly illegal to take them without a prescription.

In any case, they only improve concentration, or in the case of modafinil, gives you a caffeine like effect. Hardly allowing you to sleep in 10 minutes or speed read war and peace.

susan said...

Bitter, i am over the moon thinking of your shout out! , thinking of bears, but I think honestly the choc inside might melt, and better be served as a necklace around teddy's neck like a heart shaped choc or something. I also like the idea of hot chocolate packets with bear. Can the chocs be Cadbury's?

RPJ- I love your comments.


Sabriel- your kitty looks like my kitty girl .
Kitties and puppies need teddy bears too.

Red Pill Junkie said...

Thank you, Susan :)